Wednesday, August 24, 2011

New Semester

New semesters are always fun with many things happening at once.  Here are a few observations for my first few days of teaching.....
  1. I almost went to my class 1 hour early because I thought it met at 9 instead of 10.  Luckily a student corrected me the day before class so that I wasn't embarrassed.
  2. I was asking the question in a history class "why did you sign up for this class" and one student said: "Because I heard it had an awesome teacher."  I then informed him that I was new and had no reputation yet.  Hey, points for trying.
  3. All of our desks have wheels and fold up, so there are no set rows in the classrooms.  This is great for group work, but not so good when you are trying to walk around the classroom to interact with students.  Eventually my students will get used to me "pushing" them and their desk to another spot so that I can walk around the room.
  4. I now am on a first name basis with the mail room.  They have delivered over 20 boxes to my office and I have technically only been working for 8 days.
  5. I realize that for every new thing that I learn and master, there are four more questions that I need answered.  I did not realize the steep learning curve when you go to a brand new university.

No comments:

Post a Comment