Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Terms of Philosophy

This semester I get to teach a course that is new to me, "History and Philosophy of Sport and Physical Education."  I started reading the textbook (actually reading instead of my normal scanning) so that I can prepare lessons for the first few weeks.  The book starts off heavily on describing different philosophy terms and debating which is more important; mind, body, or soul? After diving into philosophies of existentialism, dualism, monism, metaphysical, and phenomenology, I have come to a conclusion about myself.  I love Jesus! 

It is interesting to think about the different perspectives and to study the many different ways that we can view ourselves, however, I am thankful that at the end of the day, I don't have to know the answers.  I just trust that my God has all the answers and that is good enough for me.  My book calls this "blind faith" and that I am "denying myself the pleasure of creating my own values and belief system."  I call this Truth, Confidence, and Complete reliance on my Savior. 

I will teach the many different facets of philosophy.  I will test my students on the definitions and have them debate the "deep questions" that are still debated.  But I will pray that they will see the light shinning on the narrow road of "blind faith" and maybe decide to explore that road some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment